UK & EU Adoptions
This is designed for the UK/EU adopters. As for the UK ICN – LHR, from Incheon/Seoul international airport to Heathrow airport, it takes 12 hours. We have used Korean Air KE907 flying direct from Incheon/Seoul to London arriving at around 5 pm UK time.
We learnt that the quarantine can be done at the Air Pet/Animal Reception at Heathrow airport. This clinic called “Chung Hwa” in Seoul serving the expats community is an expert when it comes to sending the dogs to the UK/EU.
Please contact the vet or his assistant. The staff speak English and are friendly. The clinic offers services in veterinary care, pet grooming, adoption, animal transporting and training.
Please contact Sunhee at 82 10 5047 0676
21-1 Itaewon-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul
For animal transport, KAT serves you.
- London Heathrow
- Frankfurt am Main
- Paris Charles de Gaulle
- AMS Amsterdam
It is advised by the airline cargo that you MUST hire an agent/broker that can handle the customs clearance at the airport. According to the information, it costs approximately ￡450 – 800 for the services. Below information is very useful for you to get in touch for your dog if you are considering adopting one of the dogs. Adopters must pay VAT on this but if you are a registered charity and VAT registered, you can claim the VAT back.
Airsupply Shipping Agent/Freight Forwarder
Tel: 44 1753 689365
Lakeside Industrial Estate,
Slough SL3 0ED, UK
Tel: 44 1753 210040
PBS International Freight (Broker)
Unit 23 Airlinks Industrial Estate
Spitfire Way, Hounslow TW5 9NR
Below office is where you collect your dogs after arrival. I hear it takes 2-4 hours depending on the Centre’s process.
Heathrow Animal Reception Centre
Dept. of Environmental Services
Beacon Road, Heathrow International Airport
Hounslow, Middlesex TW6 3JF
Tel: +44 (0) 208-745-7894 or +44 (0) 208-745-7895
Fax: +44 (0) 208-759-3477
Basic UK Quarantine Procedure
This link by UK government is very useful to those homes. http://ahvla.defra.gov.uk/
The whole process starting at our shelter will take a MINIMUM of 16 weeks, some factors may cause delays, for instance if the blood sample does not show sufficient levels of the rabies vaccine. It has to be above 0.5 IU/ml
1. MICROCHIP- First, the dog will be microchipped with an internationally recognized (ISO 11784/11785 compliant) chip. This step must be completed before the rabies vaccination as the microchip will be a record of the date of the vaccination.
2. RABIES VACCINATION- Once the microchip has been inserted, the vet can now vaccinate the dogs against rabies. The date of the rabies vaccination for antibody test is the most important and can affect the travel plans.
3. WAIT 30 DAYS- According to UK government guidelines: “for animals coming from non-listed Third Countries, the blood sample must have been taken at least 30 days after the date of the rabies vaccination where day of vaccination is day 0”.
4. BLOOD TEST- After 30 days, the vet will take a blood to be sent to government lab for test which is an UK/ EU approved lab. “You must check that the laboratory used to test the blood sample is on the list of approved laboratories.” IT REQUIRES 90 DAYS FROM THE DATE OF THE BLOOD SAMPLE WAS TAKEN TO Fly out.
5. RESULTS- Results should come back and be delivered to the vet in about 1-2 weeks. Assuming that the test comes back positive (i.e. there is enough of the rabies antibody in the dog’s system, 0.5IU/ml), ONLY then can we look into booking a flight for the dog. IF, however, the test comes back negative (i.e. there are insufficient levels of the antibody/rabies vaccine in your pet’s blood) we will need to repeat steps again.
6. BOOK FLIGHT- The flight booked will need to be “at least 90 DAYS/three calendar months between the date of the blood sampling and the date of entry into UK”. This means the flight must be no sooner than 3 months after the date the blood sample was taken.
7. COMPLETE ‘EU CERTIFICATE – View Document This is a 9 page EU certificate document that will need to be filled out by the vet, the quarantine office, and customs officials. For now, we just fill in page 1, using you as BOTH the consignee and the consignor. The consignor will be our address in Korea; the consignee will be your address in UK/EU. Make sure that ALL details on this form match up with the microchip AND the rabies test certificate.
8. VACCINATION & HEALTH CERTIFICATE- We will also need a vaccination & health certificate from the vet confirming that your dog has been vaccinated by them, a written confirmation of the dog’s details and specific information about the vaccines given, signed by the vet.
9. TAPEWORM TREATMENT & CERTIFICATE- It is a requirement for pets to be treated against tapeworm in a very specific time period. “The treatment must have been administered in the 24hr – 120hr window prior to the expected arrival in UK. The tapeworm treatment can be certified by any registered veterinarian.” This means the dog must be sent within 5 days after treatment is given in Korea. A health certificate is also required from the vet confirming that the dog has received the tapeworm treatment.
10. QUARANTINE CERTIFICATE- An animal cannot leave Korea without obtaining a Quarantine Certificate, which is shown to the airline at check-in. This states that the dog is permitted by Korean Quarantine to leave the country and that the dog is fit to fly. This is done the day before the flight at Incheon international airport or regional offices.
11. ARRIVAL IN UK- It can take up to two and a half hours to complete the checks at Heathrow Animal Reception Centre. After receiving the dog, book an appointment with your vet. Your dog needs to be checked by a UK based vet and any top up vaccines need to be administered. You must also change the registration of the chip to a UK based register.
NOTE: Unfortunately, no couriers, no flight volunteers can fly directly to the UK due to quarantine restrictions. To have the dog(s) fly directly into the UK we MUST send the dog as manifest cargo. Your dog will be treated as cargo and you will need to collect your dog at Heathrow Animal Reception Centre after the customs clearance by your broker.